Season of Giving
November 13, 2020
We can’t believe the holiday season is already around the corner! Circumstances may be different this year due to recent events and restrictions, but we can still make the most out of the holiday season. This is the time to start prepping for Christmas gift shopping if you haven’t.
When it comes to shopping for gifts, it’s important to shop smart and with intent. While we try to look for the best deals to avoid draining our bank accounts, we want to make sure that the recipient enjoys their gift. There are different considerations when it comes to shopping, aside from wanting a positive reaction from the recipient as they open their gift.
Gift Shopping Considerations
- Retail vs. Small Shops: Buying gifts from small shops is a win-win option. If you know the recipient appreciates candles, buying a set from a small shop is more worthwhile than retail. Shop small shops, if possible. If not, retail is still a reliable alternative.
- Sustainability: Start your sustainability journey through eco-friendly or repurposed gift wraps. Recycled brown paper is more eco-friendly than traditional gift wrap paper and can still look great! There is also nothing wrong with repurposed gift wraps, gift boxes, ribbons, or even tissue paper. Reduce waste where possible.
- Collectibles: If you want to contribute to someone’s collection, always make sure to have an inventory check beforehand. The last thing you want is to give a duplicate item.
- Practicality: Giving a gift that can be used is always a great route to take. While we like to keep things on the shelf as a memory, this habit will stack up and the next thing you know, your shelf is full of things that should’ve been used. With that said, make sure you use your gifts too!
- Memorable: Memorable gifts correlates with practicality perfectly. For example, if you’re gifted a perfume, you’re reminded of the person every time you use it. Memorable gifts can be experience-based gifts as well! It doesn’t have to be a whole ticket to another country, it can be as simple as wine tasting.
Sometimes, you don’t have to give a physical gift. If there is a cause that the recipient feels very strongly about, you can give your support! This can include volunteering your time or donating to a charity of their choice. We’re not against gift cards either. Although there may be a stigma that there is no thought behind gift cards, gift cards allow the recipient some privacy with what they end up picking out. Gift cards is a great way to contribute to everyday expenses too!
Share with us some great gift ideas!